Community discussions

MikroTik App

tobidoe
just joined
Topic Author

Planned MLAG Setup correct?

Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:46 pm

Hi there,

I have a question about a planned MLAG setup witch CRS518.

I would like to connect some PVE clusters that are located in two different locations.
Each node is connected to both switches on its side.
There should be two edge-disjoint dark fibre 100G connections from site to site.

Is my drawing correct? Can this be implemented with the MikroTik's using MLAG? The examples in the documentation are not entirely applicable for this case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emunt6
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Planned MLAG Setup correct?

Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:19 am

If you have just 2x Server, its not worth the complexity of MLAG config on the switches.

Simpler Solution:
You can make it to work without the "ICCP" links between the switches. On the server side you configure "static LAG bond0 interface (algo: balance-rr - linux specific mode)" - Don't need any LAG/LACP configuration on the switch side.

patrick7

Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:58 am

I wouldn't recommend static bondings. LACP is just a few lines more and provides active link monitoring.

sirbryan

Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:27 pm

The short answer to your question is that it should work and your diagram looks good.

I did a similar configuration in the core of my network, with two CRS317's in one MLAG setup feeding six routers, and another MLAG pairing with a 312 and 354 feeding my home/office router (a 2116). Then I connected the two MLAG pairs to each other using LACP and it works great.

sirbryan

Re: Planned MLAG Setup correct?  [SOLVED]

Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:31 pm

One thing is missing. You haven't marked the blue links as a LAG with an MLAG ID (it can be the same for both sides if you like).

The blue links themselves are a LAG between the MLAG pairs. To the switches, they will need to be configured just like the links going to the PVE stacks.

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:46 am

Keep in mind that mlag is hopelessly broken on mikrotik.